Isaiah Chapter 37 - New American Standard Bible
Isaiah Chapter 37 - New American Standard Bible
1. AND when King Hezekiah heard it, he tore his clothes, covered himself with sackcloth and entered the house of the LORD.
2. Then he sent Eliakim who was over the household with Shebna the scribe and the elders of the priests, covered with sackcloth, to Isaiah the prophet, the son of Amoz.
3. They said to him, «Thus says Hezekiah, "This day is a day of distress, rebuke and rejection; for children have come to birth, and there is no strength to  deliver.
4. "Perhaps the LORD your God will hear the words of Rabshakeh, whom his master the king of Assyria has sent to reproach the living God, and will rebuke the words which the LORD your God has heard. Therefore, offer a prayer for the remnant that is left.'»
5. So the servants of King Hezekiah came to Isaiah.
6. Isaiah said to them, «Thus you shall say to your master, "Thus says the LORD, « Do not be afraid because of the words that you have heard, with which the servants of the king of Assyria have blasphemed Me.
7. «Behold, I will put a spirit in him so that he will hear a rumor and return to his own land. And I will make him fall by the sword in his own land.»'»
8. Then Rabshakeh returned and found the king of Assyria fighting against Libnah, for he had heard that  the king had left Lachish.
9. When he heard them say concerning Tirhakah king of  Cush, «He has come out to fight against you,» and when he heard it he sent messengers to Hezekiah, saying,
10. «Thus you shall say to Hezekiah king of  Judah, " Do not let your God in whom you trust deceive you, saying, «Jerusalem will not be given into the hand of the king of Assyria.»
11. " Behold, you have heard what the kings of Assyria have done to all the lands, destroying them completely. So will you be  spared?
12. "Did the gods of  those nations which my fathers have destroyed deliver them, even Gozan and Haran and Rezeph and the sons of Eden who were in Telassar?
13. "Where is the king of Hamath, the king of Arpad, the king of the city of Sepharvaim, and of Hena and Ivvah?'»
15. Hezekiah prayed to the LORD saying,
16. «O LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, who is enthroned above the cherubim, You are the God, You alone, of all the kingdoms of the earth. You have made heaven and earth.
17. « Incline Your ear, O LORD, and hear; open Your eyes, O LORD, and see; and listen to all the words of Sennacherib, who sent them to reproach the living God.
18. «Truly, O LORD, the kings of Assyria have devastated all the countries and their lands,
19. and have cast their gods into the fire, for they were not gods but the work of men's hands, wood and stone. So they have destroyed them.
20. «Now, O LORD our God, deliver us from his hand that all the kingdoms of the earth may know that You alone, LORD,  are God.»
21. Then Isaiah the son of Amoz sent word to Hezekiah, saying, «Thus says the LORD, the God of Israel, "Because you have prayed to Me about Sennacherib king of Assyria,
22. this is the word that the LORD has spoken against him: «She has despised you and mocked you, The virgin daughter of Zion; She has shaken her head behind you, The daughter of Jerusalem!
23. «Whom have you reproached and blasphemed? And against whom have you raised your voice And  haughtily lifted up your eyes? Against the Holy One of Israel!
24. «Through your servants you have reproached the Lord, And you have said, "With my many chariots I came up to the heights of the mountains, To the remotest parts of Lebanon; And I cut down its tall cedars and its choice cypresses. And I will go to its  highest peak, its thickest forest.
25. "I dug wells and drank waters, And with the sole of my feet I dried up All the rivers of  Egypt.'
26. « Have you not heard? Long ago I did it, From ancient times I planned it. Now I have brought it to pass, That you should turn fortified cities into ruinous heaps.
27. «Therefore their inhabitants were short of strength, They were dismayed and put to shame; They were as the vegetation of the field and as the green herb, As grass on the housetops  is scorched before it is grown up.
28. «But I know your sitting down And your going out and your coming in And your raging against Me.
29. «Because of your raging against Me And because your  arrogance has come up to My ears, Therefore I will put My hook in your nose And My bridle in your lips, And I will turn you back by the way which you came.
30. «Then this shall be the sign for you:  you will eat this year what grows of itself, in the second year what springs from the same, and in the third year sow, reap, plant vineyards and eat their fruit.
31. «The surviving remnant of the house of Judah will again take root downward and bear fruit upward.
32. «For out of Jerusalem will go forth a remnant and out of Mount Zion  survivors. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.»'
33. «Therefore, thus says the LORD concerning the king of Assyria, "He will not come to this city or shoot an arrow there; and he will not come before it with a shield, or throw up a siege ramp against it.
34. " By the way that he came, by the same he will return, and he will not come to this city,' declares the LORD.
35. "For I will defend this city to save it for My own sake and for My servant David's sake.'»
37. So Sennacherib king of Assyria departed and  returned home and lived at Nineveh.
38. It came about as he was worshiping in the house of Nisroch his god, that Adrammelech and Sharezer his sons killed him with the sword; and they escaped into the land of Ararat. And Esarhaddon his son became king in his place.[read chapter]
Bible Main : Isaiah : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66