Job Chapter 1 - New American Standard Bible
1. THERE was a man in the land of Uz whose name was Job; and that man was blameless, upright, fearing God and turning away from evil.
2. Seven sons and three daughters were born to him.
3. His possessions also were 7,000 sheep, 3,000 camels, 500 yoke of oxen, 500 female donkeys, and very many servants; and that man was the greatest of all the  men of the east.
4. His sons used to go and hold a feast in the house of each one on his day, and they would send and invite their three sisters to eat and drink with them.
5. When the days of feasting had completed their cycle, Job would send and consecrate them, rising up early in the morning and offering burnt offerings according to the number of them all; for Job said, « Perhaps my sons have sinned and cursed God in their hearts.» Thus Job did continually.
6. Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and  Satan also came among them.
7. The LORD said to Satan, «From where do you come?» Then Satan answered the LORD and said, « From roaming about on the earth and walking around on it.»
9. Then Satan answered the  LORD, «Does Job fear God for nothing?
10. « Have You not made a hedge about him and his house and all that he has, on every side? You have blessed the work of his hands, and his possessions have increased in the land.
11. « But put forth Your hand now and touch all that he has; he will surely curse You to Your face.»
12. Then the LORD said to Satan, «Behold, all that he has is in your  power, only do not put forth your hand on him.» So Satan departed from the presence of the LORD.
13. Now on the day when his sons and his daughters were eating and drinking wine in their oldest brother's house,
14. a messenger came to Job and said, «The oxen were plowing and the  donkeys feeding beside them,
16. While he was still speaking, another also came and said, « The fire of God fell from heaven and burned up the sheep and the servants and consumed them, and I alone have escaped to tell you.»
17. While he was still speaking, another also came and said, «The Chaldeans formed three bands and made a raid on the camels and took them and  slew the servants with the edge of the sword, and I alone have escaped to tell you.»
18. While he was still speaking, another also came and said, «Your sons and your daughters were eating and drinking wine in their oldest brother's house,
19. and behold, a great wind came from across the wilderness and struck the four corners of the house, and it fell on the young people and they died, and I alone have escaped to tell you.»
20. Then Job arose and tore his robe and shaved his head, and he fell to the ground and worshiped.
21. He said, « Naked I came from my mother's womb, And naked I shall return there. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away. Blessed be the name of the LORD.»
22. Through all this Job did not sin nor did he  blame God.[read chapter]