Amos Chapter 3 - New International Version
1. Hear this word the LORD has spoken against you, O people of Israel--against the whole family I brought up out of Egypt:
2. "You only have I chosen of all the families of the earth; therefore I will punish you for all your sins."
3. Do two walk together unless they have agreed to do so?
4. Does a lion roar in the thicket when he has no prey? Does he growl in his den when he has caught nothing?
5. Does a bird fall into a trap on the ground where no snare has been set? Does a trap spring up from the earth when there is nothing to catch?
6. When a trumpet sounds in a city, do not the people tremble? When disaster comes to a city, has not the LORD caused it?
7. Surely the Sovereign LORD does nothing without revealing his plan to his servants the prophets.
8. The lion has roared-- who will not fear? The Sovereign LORD has spoken-- who can but prophesy?
9. Proclaim to the fortresses of Ashdod and to the fortresses of Egypt: "Assemble yourselves on the mountains of Samaria; see the great unrest within her and the oppression among her people."
10. "They do not know how to do right," declares the LORD, "who hoard plunder and loot in their fortresses."
11. Therefore this is what the Sovereign LORD says: "An enemy will overrun the land; he will pull down your strongholds and plunder your fortresses."
12. This is what the LORD says: "As a shepherd saves from the lion's mouth only two leg bones or a piece of an ear, so will the Israelites be saved, those who sit in Samaria on the edge of their beds and in Damascus on their couches.  "
13. "Hear this and testify against the house of Jacob," declares the Lord, the LORD God Almighty.
14. "On the day I punish Israel for her sins, I will destroy the altars of Bethel; the horns of the altar will be cut off and fall to the ground.
15. I will tear down the winter house along with the summer house; the houses adorned with ivory will be destroyed and the mansions will be demolished," declares the LORD.[read chapter]