Genesis Chapter 47 - New American Standard Bible
1. THEN Joseph went in and told Pharaoh, and said, «My father and my brothers and their flocks and their herds and all that they have, have come out of the land of Canaan; and behold, they are in the land of Goshen.»
2. He took five men from among his brothers and presented them to Pharaoh.
3. Then Pharaoh said to his brothers, « What is your occupation?» So they said to Pharaoh, «Your servants are shepherds, both we and our fathers.»
4. They said to Pharaoh, « We have come to sojourn in the land, for there is no pasture for your servants' flocks, for the famine is severe in the land of Canaan. Now, therefore, please let your servants  live in the land of Goshen.»
5. Then Pharaoh said to  Joseph, «Your father and your brothers have come to you.
6. «The land of Egypt is  at your disposal;  settle your father and your brothers in the best of the land, let them  live in the land of Goshen; and if you know any capable men among them, then  put them in charge of my livestock.»
7. Then Joseph brought his father Jacob and  presented him to Pharaoh; and Jacob blessed Pharaoh.
8. Pharaoh said to Jacob, «How many  years have you lived?»
9. So Jacob said to Pharaoh, «The  years of my sojourning are one hundred and  thirty; few and  unpleasant have been the  years of my life, nor have they  attained the  years  that my fathers lived during the days of their sojourning.»
10. And Jacob blessed Pharaoh, and went out from  his presence.
11. So Joseph  settled his father and his brothers and gave them a possession in the land of Egypt, in the best of the land, in the land of Rameses, as Pharaoh had ordered.
12. Joseph provided his father and his brothers and all his father's household with  food, according to their little ones.
13. Now there was no  food in all the land, because the famine was very severe, so that the land of Egypt and the land of Canaan languished because of the famine.
14. Joseph gathered all the money that was found in the land of Egypt and in the land of Canaan for the grain which they bought, and Joseph brought the money into Pharaoh's house.
15. When the money was all spent in the land of Egypt and in the land of Canaan, all the Egyptians came to Joseph  and said, «Give us  food, for why should we die in your presence? For our money  is gone.»
16. Then Joseph said, «Give up your livestock, and I will give you food for your livestock, since your money  is gone.»
17. So they brought their livestock to Joseph, and Joseph gave them  food in exchange for the horses and the  flocks and the herds and the donkeys; and he  fed them with  food in exchange for all their livestock  that year.
18. When that year was ended, they came to him the  next year and said to him, «We will not hide from my lord that our money is all spent, and the  cattle are my lord's. There is nothing left  for my lord except our bodies and our lands.
19. «Why should we die before your eyes, both we and our land? Buy us and our land for  food, and we and our land will be slaves to Pharaoh. So give us seed, that we may live and not die, and that the land may not be desolate.»
20. So Joseph bought all the land of Egypt for Pharaoh, for  every Egyptian sold his field, because the famine was severe upon them. Thus the land became Pharaoh's.
21. As for the people, he removed them to the cities from one end of Egypt's border to the other.
22. Only the land of the priests he did not buy, for the priests had an allotment from Pharaoh, and they  lived off the allotment which Pharaoh gave them. Therefore, they did not sell their land.
23. Then Joseph said to the people, «Behold, I have today bought you and your land for Pharaoh; now, here is seed for you, and you may sow the land.
24. «  At the harvest you shall give a fifth to Pharaoh, and  four-fifths shall be your own for seed of the field and for your food and for those of your households and as food for your little ones.»
25. So they said, «You have saved our lives! Let us find favor in the sight of my lord, and we will be Pharaoh's slaves.»
26. Joseph made it a statute concerning the land of Egypt valid to this day, that Pharaoh should have the fifth; only the land of the priests  did not become Pharaoh's.
28. Jacob lived in the land of Egypt seventeen years; so the  length of Jacob's life was one hundred and forty-seven years.
29. When  the time for Israel to die drew near, he called his son Joseph and said to him, «Please, if I have found favor in your sight, place now your hand under my thigh and deal with me in kindness and  faithfulness. Please do not bury me in Egypt,
30. but when I lie down with my fathers, you shall carry me out of Egypt and bury me in their burial place.» And he said, «I will do as you have said.»
31. He said, « Swear to me.» So he swore to him. Then Israel bowed in worship at the head of the bed.[read chapter]