Daniel Chapter 1 - New American Standard Bible
1. IN the third year of the reign of Jehoiakim king of Judah, Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon came to Jerusalem and besieged it.
2. The Lord gave Jehoiakim king of Judah into his hand, along with some of the vessels of the house of God; and he brought them to the land of Shinar, to the house of his  god, and he brought the vessels into the treasury of his   god.
4. youths in whom was no defect, who were good-looking, showing intelligence in every branch of wisdom, endowed with understanding and discerning knowledge, and who had ability for  serving in the king's  court; and he ordered him to teach them the  literature and language of the Chaldeans.
5. The king appointed for them a daily ration from the king's choice food and from the wine which he drank, and appointed that they should be  educated three years, at the end of which they were to  enter the king's personal service.
6. Now among them from the sons of Judah were Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah.
7. Then the commander of the officials assigned new names to them; and to Daniel he assigned the name Belteshazzar, to Hananiah Shadrach, to Mishael Meshach and to Azariah Abed-nego.
8. But Daniel  made up his mind that he would not defile himself with the king's choice food or with the wine which he drank; so he sought permission from the commander of the officials that he might not defile himself.
9. Now God granted Daniel  favor and compassion in the sight of the commander of the officials,
10. and the commander of the officials said to Daniel, «I am afraid of my lord the king, who has appointed your food and your drink; for why should he see your faces looking more haggard than the youths who are your own age? Then you would  make me forfeit my head to the king.»
11. But Daniel said to the overseer whom the commander of the officials had appointed over Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah,
12. «Please test your servants for ten days, and let us be given some vegetables to eat and water to drink.
13. «Then let our appearance be  observed in your presence and the appearance of the youths who are eating the king's choice food; and deal with your servants according to what you see.»
14. So he listened to them in this matter and tested them for ten days.
15. At the end of ten days their appearance seemed better and  they were fatter than all the youths who had been eating the king's choice food.
16. So the overseer continued to  withhold their choice food and the wine they were to drink, and kept giving them vegetables.
17. As for these four youths, God gave them knowledge and intelligence in every branch of  literature and wisdom; Daniel even understood all kinds of visions and dreams.
19. The king talked with them, and out of them all not one was found like Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah; so they  entered the king's personal service.
21. And Daniel  continued until the first year of Cyrus the king.[read chapter]