Exodus Chapter 1 - New American Standard Bible
1. NOW these are the names of the sons of Israel who came to Egypt with Jacob; they came each one  with his household:
2. Reuben, Simeon, Levi and Judah;
3. Issachar, Zebulun and Benjamin;
4. Dan and Naphtali, Gad and Asher.
6. Joseph died, and all his brothers and all that generation.
8. Now a new king arose over Egypt, who did not know Joseph.
9. He said to his people, «Behold, the people of the sons of Israel are  more and mightier than we.
10. «Come, let us deal wisely with them, or else they will multiply and  in the event of war, they will also join themselves to those who hate us, and fight against us and  depart from the land.»
11. So they appointed taskmasters over them to afflict them with  hard labor. And they built for Pharaoh storage cities, Pithom and Raamses.
12. But the more they afflicted them, the more they multiplied and the more they  spread out, so that they were in dread of the sons of Israel.
13. The Egyptians compelled the sons of Israel to labor rigorously;
14. and they made their lives bitter with hard labor in mortar and bricks and at all kinds of labor in the field, all their labors which they rigorously  imposed on them.
16. and he said, «When you are helping the Hebrew women to give birth and see them upon the birthstool, if it is a son, then you shall put him to death; but if it is a daughter, then she shall live.»
18. So the king of Egypt called for the midwives and said to them, «Why have you done this thing, and let the boys live?»
19. The midwives said to Pharaoh, «Because the Hebrew women are not as the Egyptian women; for they are vigorous and give birth before the midwife  can get to them.»
20. So God was good to the midwives, and the people multiplied, and became very  mighty.
22. Then Pharaoh commanded all his people, saying, « Every son who is born  you are to cast into the Nile, and every daughter you are to keep alive.»[read chapter]