Job Chapter 8 - Revised Standard Version
1. Then Bildad the Shuhite answered:
2. "How long will you say these things, and the words of your mouth be a great wind?
3. Does God pervert justice? Or does the Almighty pervert the right?
4. If your children have sinned against him, he has delivered them into the power of their transgression.
5. If you will seek God and make supplication to the Almighty,
6. if you are pure and upright, surely then he will rouse himself for you and reward you with a rightful habitation.
7. And though your beginning was small, your latter days will be very great.
8. "For inquire, I pray you, of bygone ages, and consider what the fathers have found;
9. for we are but of yesterday, and know nothing, for our days on earth are a shadow.
10. Will they not teach you, and tell you, and utter words out of their understanding?
11. "Can papyrus grow where there is no marsh? Can reeds flourish where there is no water?
12. While yet in flower and not cut down, they wither before any other plant.
13. Such are the paths of all who forget God; the hope of the godless man shall perish.
14. His confidence breaks in sunder, and his trust is a spider's web.
15. He leans against his house, but it does not stand; he lays hold of it, but it does not endure.
16. He thrives before the sun, and his shoots spread over his garden.
17. His roots twine about the stoneheap; he lives among the rocks.
18. If he is destroyed from his place, then it will deny him, saying, 'I have never seen you.'
19. Behold, this is the joy of his way; and out of the earth others will spring.
20. "Behold, God will not reject a blameless man, nor take the hand of evildoers.
21. He will yet fill your mouth with laughter, and your lips with shouting.
22. Those who hate you will be clothed with shame, and the tent of the wicked will be no more."