Genesis Chapter 28 - New American Standard Bible
1. SO Isaac called Jacob and blessed him and charged him, and said to him, « You shall not take a wife from the daughters of Canaan.
2. «Arise, go to Paddan-aram, to the house of Bethuel your mother's father; and from there take to yourself a wife from the daughters of Laban your mother's brother.
3. «May  God Almighty bless you and make you fruitful and multiply you, that you may become a company of peoples.
4. «May He also give you the blessing of Abraham, to you and to your  descendants with you, that you may possess the land of your sojournings, which God gave to Abraham.»
5. Then Isaac sent Jacob away, and he went to Paddan-aram to Laban, son of Bethuel the Aramean, the brother of Rebekah, the mother of Jacob and Esau.
6. Now Esau saw that Isaac had blessed Jacob and sent him away to Paddan-aram to take to himself a wife from there, and that when he blessed him he charged him, saying, « You shall not take a wife from the daughters of Canaan,»
7. and that Jacob had obeyed his father and his mother and had gone to Paddan-aram.
8. So Esau saw that the daughters of Canaan displeased  his father Isaac;
9. and Esau went to Ishmael, and  married, besides the wives that he had, Mahalath the daughter of Ishmael, Abraham's son, the sister of Nebaioth.
10. Then Jacob departed from Beersheba and went toward Haran.
12. He had a dream, and behold, a ladder was set on the earth with its top reaching to heaven; and behold, the angels of God were ascending and descending on it.
13. And behold, the LORD stood  above it and said, «I am the LORD, the God of your father Abraham and the God of Isaac; the land on which you lie, I will give it to you and to your  descendants.
14. «Your  descendants will also be like the dust of the earth, and you will  spread out to the west and to the east and to the north and to the south; and in you and in your  descendants shall all the families of the earth be blessed.
15. «Behold, I am with you and will keep you wherever you go, and will bring you back to this land; for I will not leave you until I have done what I have  promised you.»
16. Then Jacob awoke from his sleep and said, « Surely the LORD is in this place, and I did not know it.»
17. He was afraid and said, « How awesome is this place! This is none other than the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven.»
18. So Jacob rose early in the morning, and took the stone that he had put  under his head and set it up as a pillar and poured oil on its top.
21. and I return to my father's house in  safety, then the LORD will be my God.
22. «This stone, which I have set up as a pillar, will be God's house, and of all that You give me I will surely give a tenth to You.»[read chapter]